22.8.22

MANÁ, “LLUVIA AL CORAZÓN”

2nd April, 2011


I've had plenty of criticisms of Maná to make in these pages, and this song is far from making a convert of me: musically it's just as generic and earnest and toothless as all the rest of their #1s. And maybe it's just catching me in a particularly receptive mood; but the sentiment of the song for once matches the heroic-inspirational tone of the instrumentation, and also is actually a noble (if still inevitably limited and flat-footed) sentiment.

"Lluvia al Corazón" means "rain in the heart," and the thrust of the lyric, that a woman (possibly a lover, though she needn't be -- in interviews Fher said she could also be a sister, or a friend) is experiencing depression or worse and expressing suicidal thoughts, and the singer's response is to be with her, to help her through it, and to give her hope. As a therapeutic strategy it's insufficient and probably even harmful in parts (the line "si te vas así yo moriré" (if you go like this i'll die) is at best ill-considered), but I've been so down on Maná that even their hearts being the right place, however clumsy they are about it, is a pleasant surprise.

But then again, maybe that's just my own sentimentality about depression speaking. I was less forgiving of bathos at #1 when the subject was neglectful parenting or domestic abuse, after all. And Maná's generic rock is no better, theoretically, than Franco de Vita's generic pomp or Héctor el Father's generic moody reggaetón; but I have used self-important rock to feel better during depression, in ways I have not used other kinds of self-important music, so once more I spend a Maná entry talking about solipsism. But for a change, this time it's my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment