3.6.10

LUIS MIGUEL, “ENTRÉGATE”

23rd November, 1990


Can you tell I'm running out of things to say about professionally produced, floridly sung, and hyperbolically written ballads? Luis Miguel remains "pop royalty," as I put it in the tags, the King of his era and demesne of Pop so utterly and completely that I'm tempted to borrow a phrase from Tom Ewing (or rather from Neil Tennant) and call this his "imperial phase." His voice, immaculate and creamily expressive, is the focus here, and he sweeps us from a tender, quiet beginning to the standard banners-waving, fist-pumping Big Chorus with such ease that we scarcely notice the seam.

The lyrics are hyperbolic not only in the sense that they would be ridiculous as a rational statement, but also in the sense that spoken rather than sung they would be creepy and domineering: that Big Chorus goes "Surrender yourself/I don't feel you yet/Let your body/Get used to my heat/Surrender yourself/My prisoner/Passion does not wait/And I can't love you more than this." Which may be a relief from song after song about untouchable cruel woman who makes the man weep, but as a portrait of a healthy relationship (consensual s&m excluded) it's hardly better.

Of course, pop songs about healthy relationships are even more rare than romantic comedies where people do sane things -- the drama is in the hyperbole, and a diet of bombastic Latin Pop is as likely to make me feel that Anglo pop norms are anodyne and wussy as that Latin Pop is overheated and misogynist.

No comments:

Post a Comment